Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for Much


Tonight I hauled a 32 “ wide x 20” tall x 5 feet long duffel bag containing my artificial Christmas tree through a 20” wide by 46” tall, Keebler-Elf-sized door leading to the attic in Ben’s room. As is our tradition, the kids set up lawn chairs, grabbed a cold drink and a candy cane, put on some holiday music and sat back to enjoy the spectacle. One year, I’ll have someone film me performing this feat, set it to music, post it on YouTube and let you watch it endlessly throughout the season whenever you need a pick-me-up. It would be entertainment for the whole family - it certainly is for mine.

It’s a little early for the Christmas tree, I’ll admit, but I wanted to make my Thanksgiving morning with the kids special. This year the kids are spending the holiday and the entire weekend with their dad. In our five divorced years, this will only be the second time I’ll not be with the kids for Thanksgiving dinner. In the past, when dad had the kids, they were invited to whatever dinner I was attending (or hosting) and I always ended up spending Thanksgiving with them. This year, however, the kids will be having dinner with their dad at his new girlfriend’s house and I will not get to see them. Consequently, this Thanksgiving feels a little odd (and admittedly, a little sad) to me.

I asked Ben & Lucy’s dad if they could stay with me until noon so that we could have our own Thanksgiving celebration. He graciously agreed and I planned what I hope will be a great holiday morning for us. The agenda includes: the arrival of Harry Harold (our Elf on the Shelf), cinnamon rolls from a can with gobs of frosting, hot chocolate for them, mimosas and coffee for me, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and decorating the Christmas tree.

No turkey, no dressing, no huge gathering of family and friends. Just the three of us, doing what we do, having fun, and being thankful for so much, but mostly for each other. Sounds just about perfect to me.

5 comments:

  1. It is perfect! YOU are a perfect mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year Ben is really going to have to film you getting that Christmas tree down. I'd pay good money to see that. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful start to Ben and Lucy's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I was your kid!
    YOU are the best mom on the planet!
    Happy Thanksgiving my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a great mom to remember those little things. To make it special even if for just the morning. I love you Lori, You are a precious friend and mother to your sweet little ones. ( urchins though they may be, lol) I hope you have a weekend of self renewal and refreshment!

    ReplyDelete