
I have a tray on my bedside table that holds all my crystals, a very special rock from Ireland, a fake jewel that fell off a wand given to me by one of my best friends, a tiny “friend” charm from a necklace I share with my soul-sisters and a small slip of paper on which the word “chill” is written.
I found the paper in the home of my dear friend, Linda, when I was in Houston for her Halloween party this year. It was written by her daughter, Addie (pictured here with Lucy), in preparation for a spelling test. Something about that little slip of paper sitting in a jumble of pens, paper clips, school permission slips and phone chargers on Linda’s kitchen counter touched me and I asked Linda if I could have it. I stuck it in my pocket and brought it home with me to Seattle and it’s been on my tray with my other treasures ever since.
Today while I was drying my hair and putting on my makeup, Lucy was loitering in my bedroom, right outside my bathroom door as she often does. I glanced out at her and saw that she was writing on the back of Addie’s slip of paper in Sharpie and that it had bled through to the other side, pretty much obliterating Addie’s writing.
I know it shouldn’t have mattered, but I was disappointed to see it ruined. Though I tried to hide it, Lucy caught the look on my face and immediately started to tear up. I assured her I wasn’t mad. I told her it was my fault for not fully explaining to her how important the items on the tray are to me. I told her I was certain it looked just like any other paper I’m always encouraging them to turn over and use again. Still, she felt terrible.
Lucy came down from her room about half an hour after I left her at bedtime tonight. She asked for a gift bag, picked out the one she wanted and headed back to her room. A few minutes later, she returned with the heart-printed gift bag and handed it to me. “This is my apology for ruining your paper, mommy.” Five slips of paper. Dream Big. Live Happy. Love. Life is Good. And, of course… Chill.
Apology accepted, Lu.

Lucy, gets the cool girl of the year award. GO lucy
ReplyDeleteI love this one! She is so awesome and I teared up reading this one.
ReplyDeleteI wonder where she came up with Life is Good? Hmmmmm. I think you've had quite an impact on my daughter, Kelly, and nothing could make me happier. :-)
ReplyDeleteI've said it before and will say it again: "I love Lucy" . . . a poet in process.
ReplyDeleteI loved this! Made me feel special, as if I had somehow contributed to your special tray. You have a great way of doing that to people.
ReplyDelete