Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Land of Crappy Toys


Tonight when Lucy told our guest she would get her baby something to play with from The Land of Crappy Toys, my guest’s eyes widened, her eyebrows went up and her mouth even formed a tiny, little “o”. Maybe I should teach my kids a different name for that cabinet in the living room.

Whatever you choose to call it, you have that place in your house, right? The place where all the random toys collect? Mine is a cabinet in the bottom of a bookshelf in my living room. An quick inventory tells me that we have a slinky, magic 8-ball, plastic spinning top, three small blow-up “beach balls” from Pump-it-Up parties, countless Happy Meal toys, a couple of jump ropes, a yoyo, a selection of Hot Wheels cars and roughly a dozen super balls. When the cabinet begins to overflow, we donate anything that's worth a damn, throw the rest away and start our collection anew. It’s not a perfect system, I’ll admit, and I honestly do make an effort to not collect these types of cheap, disposable toys, but still they accumulate. So, as is our custom in the Heagler house, we give it a snappy name and learn to live with it.

After our guests had gone, Lucy noticed they had left a toy behind. I started to take it from her, but she said “that’s OK, mommy, I’ll just put it in The Land of Things Belonging to Other People” (a shelf in our coat closet with Lola’s socks, Bella’s sweatshirt, a hello Kitty watch belonging to god-knows-who, Mary Crandell’s tupperwear and now… Keaton’s ball). You have that place in your house too, right?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, we have those same places! However, your titles for those places are much more creative! No surprise there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful that she turned the toy, in her mind, from "The Land of Crappy Toys" into "The Land of Things Belonging to Other People".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories Lori! It's great to get to know you again! I just wish I had this storage space again....now it's all about shopping for that damn Christmas dance dress and the perfect headband! I'll have my glass of wine now!!!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lori, honey, I am SO glad you are doing this! I just had a quiet moment to read all three blogs, and you have such amazing talent! Those of us who have encouraged you to do this will not be disappointed! You write with grace and humor, and most importantly, courage! And you will fill us all with love and laughter! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete