“Motherhood
is a choice you make every day to put someone else’s happiness and well-being
ahead of your own. To teach the hard lessons. To do the right thing, even when
you’re not sure what the right thing is. And to forgive yourself over and over
again for doing everything wrong.” -Donna
Bell
I used this
quote as my Facebook cover photo recently. It speaks to me. It rings true.
Motherhood simply cannot be understood until you are face-to-face with a human
being who came from inside your body. A human being for whom you would do
anything, endure anything and sacrifice everything. A human being for whom you
would go to any lengths to protect, nurture and teach.
I think the “putting
someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own,” comes almost
instantly. It’s instinctual. It’s primal. All the amazing moms I know do it
without thinking.
The “teaching
the hard lessons” part is a bit more difficult, but I've been working on it. Just
last week I kicked a gum wrapper from the hallway right back into the kid’s
room from whence it came. I did so not out of apathy or utter laziness, but in
the spirit of teaching the difficult lessons of responsibility and
self-sufficiency. Honestly—that’s why. I swear.
“Doing the
right thing, even when you’re not sure what the right thing is,” gets a little
dicey. And it only gets worse as they get older. If your kid’s plans for
Halloween fall through and he’s disappointed, do you interfere in a way your
kid specifically asks you not to if you know your interference will result in new
plans and your kid feeling included? Yeah. You probably do. Is it the right thing to do? Who
the hell knows?
I think the hardest
part, though, is the, “forgiving
yourself over and over again for doing everything wrong,” part. Also last week
(the same week I kicked trash from the hall into a kid’s room and stuck my nose
entirely too far into another’s business) I gave in to Lucy’s pleas to carry
her to her room at bedtime. She’s a 90-pound human being at this point and as
such, carrying her anywhere is no easy feat. Add to that the fact that she wanted
to be carried upside-down and it was a tall order. But I eventually agreed. As
I heaved her down the hall towards her bedroom, however, I stepped on her long hair,
practically snatching her bald in one painful spot. After many tears (and countless apologies from me), she finally calmed down enough to speak coherently: “At least this
will make a good entry in the Bad-Mommy Olympics.” That's my girl. She had obviously forgiven
me, making it just a little bit easier for me to forgive myself. This time.
I’m hopeful
the “over and over again” nature of the “doing everything wrong” will
eventually make forgiving myself easier. I’m only 12 years in to this
Motherhood thing and I still have a lot of years ahead of me. I think the “forgiving
myself” part might come in baby steps.
As a side
note, when my love of this quote led me to research its author, Donna Bell, I
discovered it can be attributed to (a) a New York bakery owner, (b) a Florida
newscaster or (c) a Romanian-born porn star. Is it wrong
that I hope it’s the porn star? If it is (wrong), I’m going to go ahead and
forgive myself for that. Baby steps.



This is the very first blog entry that you have written that speaks to me directly. I know exactly what you are saying and feel that ache in your heart, too. It is constant. I have a 21 and 16 year old. TO most, that is almost all grown up. However, I am still MOTHERING daily. The constant texts from my oldest asking me what should she do, or the most recent one from Hadley from a party that asked me WHAT she should do in regards to an issue, make me realize that MY decision and advice might hurt them somehow. I am so happy to know I am not the only one. NO one, and I mean no one, can understand this unless they have walked in our shoes. Hadley slept with me four times last week. AND, she is 16! No matter what, I know that I am the best mom I can be. Lori, that is all we can do. I love you and I am thrilled you are writing again. I have missed you!
ReplyDeleteI'd really rather look at motherhood as a choice as well. It's not because I'm tempted with the choice of being not, but I think it helps in one's mind setting. It makes you feel like you're doing the things that you do not because you have to but because you want to.
ReplyDeleteEven if sometimes what you're doing is not exactly what you 'want' - still, it's something you'd do because you want to be the mother.
Oh well, I guess, simply put, that is what motherhood is about;)