Last weekend
I met a woman similar to me. She has two kids – a son on the autism spectrum
and a daughter who is not. A friend introduced us and pointed out my
involvement with Autism Speaks. After we had talked for a while, this woman I
had just met looked at me a little bewildered and said, “So you chair this
event?” (She was talking about the Walk.) “You’re the person in charge?”
“Yep,” I
told her. “Trust me—no one is more surprised than me.”
“And you’re
a single mom? And you lead a Yearbook Club for Elementary School kids?” (I
think here she added, “Who does that?” under her breath.) “And you work full time?”
“Uh huh.”
“Where do
you find time to do all that?”
I mumbled
something like, “Oh, you know…” and let my sentence drift off knowing full well
it had no ending. And just for a moment I saw myself through her eyes as she looked at me waiting for the end of the sentence that wasn't coming. What I
saw was a capable, dedicated, somewhat sleep-deprived woman…who is just a
little bit crazy. (In my defense, being just a little bit crazy is super-helpful
in the getting-it-all-done department.)
For
Christmas a friend gave me a framed quote:
“Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be
happy.” –Guillaume Apollinaire. A not-so-subtle suggestion that maybe I should,
oh I don’t know, stop and breathe every once in a while. Pause. It’s a great
idea…in theory. An idea I’ve been considering since receiving this thoughtful
gift.
And then last
weekend I saw myself through a stranger’s eyes. And I began to consider the idea a
little more carefully.
When Ben was
four he began to “sing his iPod” when he felt stressed. When I say “sing his
iPod,” I mean that quite literally. At
first glance, it seemed as though he was singing songs at random for fun, or to
self-soothe—not a terrible idea, really. But on closer examination, I could see what
he was doing. He began by singing the first song on his iPod (if sorted by “Songs”)
and continued in order until you stopped him. Singing the songs was not for fun—it was
perseveration, not pastime. The iPod housed eight or nine hundred songs at this
point so waiting for him to finish wasn’t really an option. Stopping him was
difficult, however, because he so desperately wanted (needed?) to complete the
task. Parenting requires that you get creative sometimes, and parenting an
autistic kid is no different. So I got creative: I installed a pause button on
Ben’s nose. It was important that it be a “pause” button and not a “stop”
button because completion of the task was important to Ben and I didn’t
necessarily want to keep him from that. I simply needed him to pause in his pursuit
from time to time. It took some hard work to implement the nose-pause-button
technique, but eventually Ben would pause without too much fuss whenever I
touched his nose. (He later installed a "play" button on his chin, but that's a story for another day.)
It occurs to
me now that I may need a pause button of my own (but maybe mine could be on my
elbow, or my shoulder—somewhere a little more subtle than my nose). I have to
admit, though, I’ve been worried about what might happen if I use that pause button.
I’ve been wondering if I might pause in my pursuit of happiness only to find there’s
no “happy” there to enjoy.
I sat with
that worry for a while before arriving at the conclusion that it was a load of
crap. No “happy” to enjoy? Pfft. Just
last weekend I finished painting a wall in my house that had been half-done for
far too long. When I stood back and looked at that freshly-painted wall, the sight
of it made me so happy I wanted to sing it a love song.
And of
course there are my soul mates, coffee, wine and Dove Chocolate Promises. Those
always make me happy.
Oh yeah—and those
two wonderful, weird, charming and lovable, half-baked human beings I’m
cooking? They make me pretty happy too.
I think I
could work a pause into my schedule from time to time. What’s the worst thing
that could happen?
Don’t answer
that, just let me enjoy my pause.


Bravo, my friend, Bravo!
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS! You need to pause! You're allowed to do nothing. Socks & Rocks
ReplyDeleteBeautifully contemplated.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully contemplated.
ReplyDelete