Thursday, December 22, 2011

True Believers


A couple of days ago, Lucy couldn’t wait to wake me up and show me what Harry Harold, our Elf on the Shelf, was up to. She dragged me out of bed and into the living room, talking excitedly, bouncing around the room and making sure I took in every detail of the scene. Harry was sitting on the couch, watching the movie, “Elf”, with a couple of toy elves. He had consumed nearly an entire two-liter bottle of Coke (to which he was still clinging) and spilled popcorn and syrup all over the table. Lucy was beside herself.

Then Ben walked in. He looked first at the television, then at Harry on the couch with the toy elves, and finally at the mess on the table without saying a word or showing any reaction. He grabbed a blanket, sat down next to Harry and started watching the movie. A moment passed while Lucy and I looked at Ben, then at each other and back at him. Finally Ben broke the silence. Without taking his eyes from the television, he nonchalantly said, "Hi, Harry. Can I have a sip?”

And in that moment I saw so clearly both the similarities and the stark differences between my children. True believers, both of them, yet so very different—one who marvels at magic and one who expects nothing less. Each mindset perfectly suited to the child who possesses it.  Each outlook flawlessly pure, undeniably beautiful and the tiniest bit heart-breaking. Just like them.

 Don’t stop believing, Heaglers. I can’t wait to see where your magic will take you.

3 comments:

  1. You have the most wonderful children! Wouldn't expect any less from the most wonderful mom around! Hope the Heagler's Holidays are merry and bright. Much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many time I read your words and feel like I am inside a good book. Then, like today, I feel like you deserve a medal. I think you are an incredible mom to acknowledge the differences in those fabulous short people living with you. However, the fact that they both can benefit from having you as their mom, well, there are no words for that. I believe in miracles everyday because of you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift for your children to have this blog. I would love to be able to look back and read my mom's account of our life growing up (although it was very dysfunctional). And thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete