Monday, December 12, 2011

What Would Harry Harold Do?


So here’s the thing: while, by most accounts, it’s been a banner year for me, I feel as though I’ve let some things slip through the cracks.

  • How many of you got a birthday card from me this year? I can tell you it wasn't very many.
  • How often have the kids and I gotten together with my beloved Boozy Mommies and their delightful children? Not nearly enough.
  • Did I forget that your mom was in the hospital, your daughter was trying out for cheerleading, or your son was waiting to hear about a college scholarship? Yep. I probably did.
  • Did I fail miserably to accomplish my goal of posting to this blog at least once each week? Yes, I’m afraid I did.
  • Did I haphazardly slap together my kids’ birthday parties at the last minute? Uh huh. I did that too.
  • And don’t even get me started on that towering stack of papers on my desk at home that never seems to get any smaller.


I'm sorry for all of the above, I truly am. Looking at that list, you might think I completely suck (or more to the point, I might think I completely suck) were it not for a few good things I did this year as well. I took on more time-consuming roles as a volunteer and I did spend time on my writing albeit outside of this blog, attending a writer’s conference and even entering a contest. I raised so much money for Autism Speaks I was asked to speak at the opening ceremonies of their walk. And oh yeah, I added a whole new relationship to my life. A whole new person to love. A whole new wonderful, thrilling, not-sure-how-I-lived-without-him way to spend my time and energy (thank goodness).

And while I certainly wouldn't wish away any of these exciting, new things in my life, I do wish I could have all these and still keep up with everything else that means so much to me, most importantly being a thoughtful friend and good mother. I want to have my cake and eat it to. Who doesn't? I mean what’s the point of cake if you’re not going to eat it—am I right?

So maybe this is a time of transition in my life and I need to modify my expectations a bit, rethink my time-management and prioritize more thoughtfully. Or maybe I just need to ask myself, “What would Harry Harold do?”



Harry Harold is our Elf on the Shelf. A truly beloved holiday tradition for the Heagler family, Harry is pure magic—pure don’t-care-how-long-it-takes, get-the-job-done, who-needs-sleep?—magic. Harry doesn’t think twice about spending an hour prying apart an entire bag of stale marshmallows to stage a snowball fight with Lego Guys or meticulously frosting Cheerios to make donuts for an elf tea party. He doesn't bat an eye about losing sleep to finish someone's laundry (folding it super-tiny) or put up the Christmas tree so it would be ready to decorate in the morning. He doesn’t balk at making a huge mess to delight the children of the house even knowing he’ll have to clean it up himself. Harry goes the extra mile, always thinks of others and never forgets what’s important. And he’s hilarious to boot.

Harry is my idol and “What would Harry Harold do?” may just be my new motto.  Expect big things from me in 2012…maybe even a birthday card. It could happen.


4 comments:

  1. Don't change sweetie! PFB is SOOO worth waiting for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to be a better everything. It takes such hard work to be great at something. One thing. YOU have mastered being great at everything. YOU have found out that taking care of you and your needs has to come first. YOU cant be the best at all of those other things if you are not happy, too. So, all I have to say is, "I told you so!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Harold would enjoy life which is what you do every day. Keep it up! The paperwork can wait, the kid's birthdays were still celebrated, and your friends know you care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On H^2's team for the snowball fight: a blue dinosaur (?), an insect w/ antennae to rival The Monarch's eyebrows, and Jimmi Hendrix?

    ReplyDelete