In my speech, I also plan to say that I walk for Lucy. Not only because she’s helpful, compassionate, protective and wise beyond her years, but also because I wish she didn’t have to be.
And finally, I plan to say that I walk for myself in the hopes that I might have the strength to raise awareness, change opinions and advocate for these kids. But not just for me – for all the moms who walked this road before me and all the moms who will walk this road after me.
Three to five minutes – Ben, Lucy, me. That’s all I’ll have time for, but that’s not all there is. I walk for so much more.
I walk for the Crandells, our family of choice. Because they love us for who we are and support us without reservation, hesitation or conditions. They’ve seen it all and like us anyway. They’re my heroes. All three of them.
I walk for Suzanne and Gretchen, the original Boozy Mommies, who have been with me from the beginning, through thick and thin (and god knows how many bottles of wine) and who have always taught their kids that Ben is just Ben…their friend.
I walk for Troy who has enough love in his heart for all of us.
I walk for The Divine Miss Jane whose baby gift – an amazing, lovingly-compiled CD set – I hold responsible for Ben’s love of music.
I walk for Ben’s friends at school…Mallory who looks out for him, Erika who empathizes with him and Angie who includes him.
I walk for Vicki and Kirk who are never afraid to take Ben on an adventure, even knowing it could go terribly wrong and they might have to turn back at a moment’s notice.
I walk for grandparents who love him unconditionally.
The list goes on and on....I could certainly never recognize everyone (as much as I wish I could). I walk for all of you who laugh with us and cry with us. Who cheer, encourage, support and commiserate with us. Without you, we’d be lost.
Team Heagler ROCKS because of you.
Click here to see my walk-day speech



No comments:
Post a Comment