I’ve been asking Ben for some time if he’d like to write something to post here. He’s been enjoying creative writing in school and his teacher has been incredibly supportive and complimentary of his efforts. I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve read and have asked several times if I could post something, but up until now, he had always said no. I’m still hoping to talk him into letting me post, “Halloween: My Favorite Holiday,” or, “My Favorite Relative is Uncle Kirk.” In fact, if you’re Facebook friends with my sister, you should check out the Uncle Kirk missive on her wall. Good stuff.
Last week, Ben disappeared into the office on Thursday afternoon and emerged with a newspaper he'd created called “Crandler Times.” All the Crandler news that’s fit to print. He printed five copies and left a copy for each member of the household on his/her pillow. The image that follows is a photograph of the actual newspaper so you can see how Ben presented it, but I've typed the text below in the event the image isn't easily readable. I added a little commentary - mostly for clarification. I hope Ben won't mind.
Lucy and Hope each received for Christmas a stuffed elf, "like Harry Harold, but not real like Harry Harold," that they could keep all year. Lucy's is Harry Holiday and Hope's is Henry Holiday. The girls are convinced these stuffed elves must be magic, just like Harry Harold, and their attempts to catch them doing magic are seemingly tireless...
Harry And Henry Blinked!
On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 Lucy and Hopes stuffed animals that Harry Harold gave to them when he left for the year, blinked twice. "We had all the lights turned off and everyone was hiding when we saw them blink" said Hope and Lucy.
There has been much discussion about whether or not the kids should be allowed to watch "Mad TV." Questionable TV shows can quickly become problematic given that Ben often quotes verbatim from TV and tries to pass it off as conversation. Lately I've asked a few too many times, "Where did you hear that?" leading to the speculation...
Is Mad Banned?
Everyone is wondering is MAD banned??? The parents (Lori and Maggie) are talking it out now... the kids (Dylan, Ben, Hope and Lucy) are anxious to hear the results. Here are everyone's predictions:
Lori: I don't really know, after what the kids told us, we'll talk it out.
Maggie: MAD. Hmmm I dunno really.
Dylan: I think they might let it slip this time.
Hope: Probably, MAD will be banned.
Lucy: I dunno, maybe they might ban it.
Ben: MAD I think will be banned.
From my Butter My Butt and Call Me a Biscuit Southern Sayings Calendar...
Today's Southern Saying:
To a friend who loses his cool you might say... Don't go flyin' off the handle.
Book Club Meeting Saturday at 1:45 PM
Book club :-). But, Hope and Lucy don't have a book, so they might be in trouble... any who, the books are: The Phantom Tollbooth, Bandits Moon, The Red Pyramid, Nerds, Guardians Of GaHoole: The Capture, Fable Haven, Holes, Warriors: Into The Wild, The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones and When You Reach Me. The parents (Maggie and Lori) might be attending the meeting too. Remember the rule, if you skip a book club meeting and you're not sick, you can't read another book club book until next week. Speaking of books here are the stories we're reading: Heaglers, The Name of this Book is Secret, Crandells, The Hobbit.
The Crandells have apparently set their literary standards a tad higher than the Heaglers. Any who...
Other Activities:
Yu Gi Oh: Patrick just set Dylan and Ben at least 1,000 Yu Gi Oh Cards. Dylan's favorite is Thousand Eyes Restrict, Ben's: Big Eye.
Thank you, Patrick. And thanks Ben, for this first installment of Ben's corner. I, for one, can't wait until the next one.


This has by far been my favorite blog posting ever! Ben, like your mom, you are a brilliant and funny writer! I can't wait to read more! How fabulous!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute! Great job, Ben!
ReplyDeleteSuch a gifted and talented writer you are, Mr. Heagler :)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely awesome!! And I always love me some "any who"!!! Priceless!
ReplyDeleteThis is so interesting to see how creative kids can be. Thanks Ben for the News. Love learning about the Crandlers,
ReplyDelete