Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tweaking My Wine-to-Coffee Ratio

I’ve been feeling a little off my game lately. Still feeling a little blue from the holidays, unorganized, overwhelmed, a little scattered… just “off.” I was certain I would snap out of it at any moment, but then yesterday I had trouble parallel parking.


Parallel parking is my super-hero power. Seriously. I’m so good that passers-by have, on occasion, stopped on the street to watch this power in action, and on at least one occasion applauded when I exited my perfectly parked vehicle. But yesterday, the space was plenty big, I wasn’t rushed, my visibility was fine, I just couldn’t maneuver my car into the space. What was going on here?

Are the planets out of alignment? Is Mercury in retrograde (I hear that can cause all sorts of trouble). Is there a disturbance in The Force? Is my wine-to-coffee ratio out of whack?

Fortunately, it was Tuesday and that means Play Group with my Boozy Mommies. Anyone who knows me knows the the term “play group” is used very loosely here. But if you’re a new reader, I should probably let you know that in this context “play group” means moms sitting around drinking wine while our children run amok largely unsupervised.

So I shared a bottle of wine with my girls. I felt the planets realign.  They helped me remember that The Force is strong in me.  And (perhaps most importantly)... I tweaked my wine-to-coffee ratio. (As a friend recently pointed out, it’s a delicate balance. If it was easy to maintain, anyone could do it.)

The next morning I parallel parked like the super-hero I am.

Thanks, Boozy Mommies - those I see once a week, those with whom I share the occasional mimosa-phone-date, and those I’ve never even met. What would I do without you?

5 comments:

  1. To most of us, Lori, you are always a SUPER -HERO! You tackle things everyday which put you in that category. I am so happy that you realized it on your own. I am thrilled your planets religned becasue I have missed you and the blog posts. I think the question is here is this: WHAT would we do without you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Boozy Mom....I think you're amazing, parallel parking skills and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please fly to San Antonio and teach Catie to parallel park? No driver's ed in school and I suck at it so I'm not looking forward to that lesson. I'll shine the LHH super hero beacon in the night sky when I need you, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now no why mu super hero sticker has fallen off. My wine-to-coffeeratio is out of whack. Too much up and not enough down!! Thanks for the reminder. Happy New Year Super Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. That ratio is EVEYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete