Friday, September 10, 2010

Better Keep the Bed

I signed a lease last night. I’m renting a place to live for the first time in 13 years. And to make the experience a complete blast-from-the-past, I have a roommate. Three, actually. The lease-signing was chaos – foreshadowing, no doubt. My new roommate and I met the landlord at the property with our four children, ages 7, 8, 9 & 10. It was my kids' first time to see the inside of the house. Our roommates were already there when we arrived and Ben and Lucy instantly whipped the other kids into a frenzy, bursting through the door at a fever pitch. All four kids ran around checking the place out and discussing who would get what room and the best location for Nerf wars at a volume way beyond 11 while my friend and I asked our questions, discussed some details and gave our deposit checks to the landlord. Our young landlord, expecting his first child any day, looked a little shell-shocked by the pandemonium but didn’t panic and change his mind at the last minute. (Whew.)  It’s official. We move in on the 25th.

By the time we got home it was past the kids’ bedtime. They got ready for bed quickly, we said our goodnights and I sat down fully intending to write. But I quickly decided that what I really needed to do was drink a sizeable glass of wine, watch some mindless TV and go to bed early. And I did just that.

So I was sound asleep when Lucy came downstairs and crawled into bed with me around 1:00 a.m. When the kids were very young I swore I would never let a child sleep with me. I was afraid it would be a slippery slope and I didn’t want to set a precedent. I’m still not one to let kids sleep with me all the time, but I would like to think that over the years (and with all we've been through) I’ve learned when to loosen my rules in favor of making sure Ben and Lucy know they are loved and supported. We’re struggling these days in the Heagler Home – there’s no doubt about that – so I’m willing to relax my standards to give my kids what they need during this difficult time.  Even if that means a kid in my bed.  Or even two.

A couple of hours later Ben came downstairs and also wanted to get in my bed. This is practically unprecedented. I can count on one hand the number of times in nine years Ben has sought my comfort in this way, so of course I let him in bed too. When my alarm went off this morning at 5:51, I turned it off and reset it for 7:00. This morning, spending an extra hour smashed uncomfortably between my peacefully sleeping children was far more important than getting a little exercise.  I can practice yoga tomorrow.

When we were discussing sleeping arrangements with our roommates at the new house, it was decided that my roommate’s 10-year-old boy would give his bunk-beds to the girls who will be sharing a room. He'll take his sister’s twin-sized bed and Lucy’s full-sized bed will not be needed. I first thought I would sell it to help with my share of the security deposit. But then I reconsidered, thinking that a full-sized bed might fit well in my smaller bedroom at the new house. With a little paint it would look reasonably like a grown-up’s bed (not that anyone ever sees it who would care).  I went to bed last night thinking I should sell my mattress and box spring and keep Lucy’s bed for myself.

But this morning I changed my mind again. At seven and nine, my kids are pretty big and the three of us barely fit in my queen-sized bed. And who knows when Ben and Lucy might need to make a Heagler sandwich again in the middle of the night.

I think I’d better keep my bed.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, keep the bed. I think that is a greeat idea! I love this story most of all because it reminds me once again of the role you play in ALL of our lives. YOU give US hope, strength, and a reason to do something POSITIVE for someone else. You pay it forward every single day and for that, I have learned so much from you. I love you and am with you in spirit while you make this difficult move. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read "Come Up Swinging" after I read this one. My heart aches for you and my soul rejoices to see how strong you are. Your strength and perseverance help me realize my little problems (that seem huge at the time) are bugs on my windshield and will wash away with the rain or water and elbow grease. I am so happy that you have a strong network of friends to fall back on in your hour of need. I have 2 really good friends here in town that are single moms and they show me everyday that we have an inner strength that brings us thru. Just like that hidden antique, we may have some rust or scratches on us but with a little love the priceless beauty shines thru. Thanks for sharing with us. You helped me tons this morning. Live Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad you are going through this old friend. But just know your kids' reactions are TOTALLY typical of all kids having to move and each day will get better but it will take time. I don't think Addie will ever get over leaving the Bartlett house, even though she now has an actual closet and much bigger room. Even though we have been here 2 years this week in a creative writing list for school of "Things that Scare me or make me Sad" she listed "My New House" which made me want to cry. (She also listed "Axes and Robbers" - clearly my child) And, every once in awhile at bedtime she will be crying lightly at bedtime and I know it's tears for the house she lived in for the first 5 years of her life.

    You are the most amazing mother that I know and it wouldn't be normal for you not to break down at some point. In fact it's healthy for your kids to see you as a person, too. This is something you are all sharing, and they will remember that you were sad, too, but just wait and see how much fun they will have once you are all moved in!

    I just wish I weren't so far away.

    And, kids just want to be with you, they don't really care where. I guess that's why the cliche' "Home is where the heart is" is completely true.

    The Heagler House is just morphing.

    I can't wait to come along for the ride...

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete