Friday, May 7, 2010

Pub Crawl Friday - Installment 8

Colin Boyd
The Gingerman
Dallas, Texas

The last time I wrote a “Pub Crawl Friday” that didn’t involve a bad date, I justified its inclusion in the series by pointing out it happened in a bar and included men behaving badly. While this story takes place in a bar, the only bad behavior is mine, I’m afraid, so I beg your indulgence once again.


During my ten years in Dallas – nearly all of my 20s – there was a time when my group of friends regularly went to the Gingerman on Sunday night to hear a local singer/songwriter named Colin Boyd. During those years, part of Colin’s shtick was to allow audience members to perform songs with him – sort of karaoke with live accompaniment. As we were big fans of Colin’s music, fond of laughing at ourselves and behaving like idiots and, quite frankly, drinking lots of beer in one sitting, we absolutely loved it. We simply couldn’t get enough. We went so frequently we began asking Colin to learn songs specifically so that we could perform them the following week. I should probably point out, however, that no one among us was a particularly talented singer. But we certainly didn't let that stop us.

Several people in our group developed a “signature song” – a go-to they would perform every week if given the chance. But no one had a signature song quite like mine and my dear friend, Linda’s - a Copa Cabana duet complete with choreography. We performed it week after week to the delight of our drunk friends and the horror of innocent bystanders, including (one fateful night) the owner of the bar.

At the end of Colin’s final set that night, the owner called him aside and told him he could no longer allow audience members to perform with him at the Gingerman. When Colin protested, the owner didn’t budge, telling him he had, that very night, seen two girls do a rendition of Copa Cabana that was so bad three people left the bar. Colin stuck to his guns, though. Allowing audience members to perform was part of his shtick and he wasn’t willing to give it up. Consequently, Colin’s regular gig at the Gingerman came to an abrupt end. Because of two drunk girls and their truly painful rendition of Barry Manilow’s Copa Cabana.

Colin later performed at my wedding where I was allowed to sing Copa Cabana to my heart’s content. My copy of Colin’s “Sincerity” CD is signed, “Lori – Let’s go on tour!! We’ll rock and roll till the early night! We’ll always start and end with ‘copa’!! Lets! Lets! Lets!! – Colin.” He never blamed me and Linda for getting him kicked out of the Gingerman... or so I thought.

Last year during a trip to Dallas, I went to see Colin perform at J. Pepe’s – one of a couple of regular gigs Colin is playing these days. As I was making plans to meet friends there that night, I mused in a Facebook status, “I wonder if Colin even remembers my getting him thrown out of the Gingerman all those years ago.” My answer came the moment we walked onto the patio at J. Pepe’s. Colin was already on stage and happened to be between songs when he saw us. He smiled, waved and said into the microphone, “Look who’s here. Do y’all remember when you got me kicked out of the Gingerman? Good times.”

Some things about that night last year seemed just like old times. Many of the same incredible friends, so much laughter my sides hurt and more booze than good sense should allow, but alas, there was no Copa. Colin’s no dummy.

Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl. But that was 30 years ago when they used to have a show. Now it’s a disco, but not for Lola. Still in the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair, she sits there so refined, and drinks herself half blind…

God bless Lola... and cheers, Colin Boyd!

Click here to visit Colin Boyd's MySpace Fan Page

3 comments:

  1. YOU rock and you can sing me LOLA anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lori... you're a show-girl at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I might perhaps have been just drunk enough that night to be a back up singer and my lack of singing ability through off the lead vocals. My apologies to all.

    ReplyDelete