Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hellooooo, Handsome!

I love birthdays. Always have. At 43 I’ve never once considered swearing them off in an attempt to stave the flow of my advancing age. Maybe I’ll feel differently at 53 or 63, but I doubt it. I’m better at 43 than I ever dreamed of being at 33 or 23. I'm smarter, funnier, more compassionate, and while I may not be better looking, I’ve made my peace with that. I’m more comfortable in my own skin, and more able to find humor in my flaws – cosmetic and otherwise.


And I love the sense of renewal birthdays offer me. I feel that sense of a new year, starting fresh, anything is possible, far more on my birthday than I ever do on January 1st.

My 43rd year of life was less than stellar. I went bankrupt, lost a business that meant the world to me, often failed to make ends meet – sometimes in full view of my concerned children, battled depression and because of that struggled at times to maintain connections with even my closest friends and family.  Not to mention romantic misadventures so bad I can't even find a way to make them funny (and let’s face it, finding humor in my romantic misadventures is my strong suit).

Consequently, saying goodbye to my 43rd year was not at all difficult – all sweet, no bitter. I was more than ready to let this year go, and Friday was a perfect day. Amazing weather, champagne pedicure with a dear friend I don’t see nearly enough, hugs from the kids, a dive bar with many of my favorite people and lots and lots of laughter. Also, more birthday wishes than I could count – some making me cry, some making me laugh, and all of them touching me more than anyone probably realizes. It was birthday perfection, Lori style.

Maybe it was perfect simply because I was so ready to see this year end. Or maybe the day’s perfection was a harbinger of things to come. Either way, at the end of my birthday weekend, I’m ready to say my final farewell to my 43rd year and welcome the year ahead. A year filled with promise, hope and the knowledge of lessons learned.

So, to my 44th year I say, “Helloooooo, handsome! You’re so much better looking than last year.”

7 comments:

  1. You deserve the VERY best!!! Here's to an awesome 44th year full of hope, love, surprises and great times!!! You are too awesome!!! Glad your weekend was wonderful!! Love you!!

    Socks!!!
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any woman who can write a birthday card like this to herself is "freakishly strong", fabulous and funny and I'm fortunate to count on you as my friend. (geez, hope I didn't miss any "f" words!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wasn't meant to tear up at this, but I did. I love you,Lori!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHEN your book is published, and I am reading the dedication in the front to your good friend, Lel, and feeling like I know someone famous, I will remember this entry the most! What a fabulous Bday card to yourself! You are so brave and smart and beautiful and awesome! I wish you a year filled with love and happiness! SOCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lori, you are just so amazing! I love you so much and wish we could see each other more, too! This is such a great post, it needs to be in O magazine!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly amazing! I am lucky to call you friend. I know that this year will bring you blessings beyond your imagination!! Love you <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, you have lemonade out of lemons. You are and inspiration to all women and moms.

    all my love and support for you and your family

    Missy

    ReplyDelete