“I’m sad and confused,” he said. “How can I not be?” When I didn’t answer, he repeated himself,
more loudly this time, “How can I not be?”
I paused and considered the question before saying, "I'm going to need you to finish that sentence."
I paused and considered the question before saying, "I'm going to need you to finish that sentence."
“What are you talking about?” he asked, annoyed. Fair enough, I thought. He had,
in fact, spoken in complete sentences; it was the thought that was incomplete.
“I need you to finish the sentence,” I said again. “‘How can I not be
sad and confused when…’ Fill in the blank. I need to hear what follows. I need
to know what you think has happened here.”
My battle with depression had taken its toll on our relationship and we
were near the end. We both knew it. He couldn’t hang on—couldn’t withstand the
distance, neither the physical, nor the emotional distance caused by my
struggle. And I could no longer withstand his apparent lack of empathy and what
felt like disapproval of a “weakness.”
“Finish the sentence,” I said yet again.
Silence followed. And then, “How can I not be sad and confused when the
woman I fell in love with no longer exists? How can I not be sad and confused
when the woman I would have done anything for no longer exists? How can I not
be sad and confused when the woman who made me feel like I’ve never felt before
NO LONGER EXISTS?” By this time he was shouting and on the other end of that
telephone line, 2,391 miles away, I was shrinking a little more with each
perfectly-formed sentence.
I had only days earlier written about my depression here in this blog.
I described feelings of being “separate” from the rest of the world,
disconnected and somehow “not real.” I wrote about “folding in on myself and
disappearing.” And here was the man I loved, using those words, using my darkest thoughts as a weapon. Hammering away at what precious little “me” I had
left.
So I told him he had to stop. And I didn’t mean just his tirade. We had
to stop. He didn’t put up a fight. I may have been leaving him, but the truth
is he was already gone.
And it all started because I asked him to finish a sentence. I’m sure
the hypocrisy is not lost on you (especially if you've already counted the
sentence fragments in this blog post alone), but I have to insist that if
you’re going to come at me with words, they’d damn-well better form a complete
sentence. If words are your weapon, be prepared to finish your thought.

A piece of writing that I will never forget. This is raw, honest, beautiful, and in my opinion, one of your best. Life is so hard. Sometimes finding closure is the only way you can truly pick yourself up from the floor. Socks and Rocks, my friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing and for your honesty. I hope closure is in your grasp and you can sleep peacefully.
ReplyDelete