Tonight I paused during some late-night packing to read this
year’s hand-made Mother’s Day cards from the kids when I unearthed them from a stack of paperwork I was sorting.
From Lucy:
I recognize what things you have done that has impacted my
life. For example, every morning when I wake up you already know what I like
for breakfast. Another example would be the time we chased the bus and I didn’t
get to say goodbye and you came to school to say goodbye before I go to my dad’s
house. I hope your mothers day is full of smiles and happy faces!
Love,
Lucy
To be fair, knowing what she wants for breakfast when she wakes up
isn’t exactly rocket science. She eats a frozen waffle every day. But, that incident
at the bus stop happened two years ago (maybe even three) and I’m surprised she remembers it. We were running late and we pulled up to the bus stop just as the bus was getting
there. And Lucy’s right, they dashed out of the car to catch the bus and we didn't get to say goodbye. After school that day they would be going to their
dad’s house for the weekend and I wouldn't see them again for a couple of days. Instead of heading straight to work I drove to the
church across the street from the school and parked the car. And knowing it would make me late, I made a mad dash across the street and the school lawn to the place they line up outside their classroom
doors. I was able to reach each of them before they
went inside, give them a squeeze (as non-embarrassingly as I could manage), and tell them I loved them and couldn't wait for them to come back home on
Monday. Truthfully, I had forgotten all about that day and I certainly had no
idea Lucy remembered it. Her note (and our wonderful weekend together) most
certainly provided smiles and happy faces for Mother’s Day.
And then from Ben:
I love you.
Ben H.
As if without the “H” I would think it was from some other
Ben. And clearly I have not yet adequately stressed the importance of the difference between "your" and "you're". But his card (while perhaps less
eloquent than his sister’s) by virtue of it's "Ben-ness" provided just as many smiles and happy faces for
Mother’s Day... and tonight. Just when I needed them.
I don’t think I’ll pack these cards just yet.
Wishing you all
smiles and happy faces. Wherever you happen to find them.

I love this! It does't matter if it a waffle or an apple, you always know what is right. Why would she ever forget that? Do you really think that Lucy is not aware how unusual it is for a mom to do what you did? Even in a class of hundreds she knows most of her friends do not have a mom like you. Ben, Ben, Ben, love the way he signed the card. You never know, there could be several other Ben's who call you mom, right? It is the small stuff that can make you realize that you are loved more than anything in the world. YOU have earned that honor simply because you are an exceptional mother and they both know that.
ReplyDelete