During my most recent bout of depression I’ve experienced some pretty strange feelings of being separate from the rest of the world. I’ve felt oddly “not real” at times. I’ve struggled to do what I know helps me feel better—to
be present in my daily life and to truly engage with the people in it, to touch people as a check-in to make sure
I am, in fact, real. That I am truly
complete. That I’m here. (Of course I don’t actually touch people all that
often because that would just be weird.) But try as I might to stay “in the
now,” my mind, rather cruelly, has continued to wander to another time and
another depressive episode when someone I loved told me that the person
he had fallen in love with, the me he had fallen in love with, no longer existed. That statement has been echoing
in my head like a malevolent refrain with the volume turned up to eleven: You don’t
exist. You’re not real. You’re not complete.
I've sought help for my depression and I know I’m on the right path. That in
itself makes me feel better, but it takes time and I’ve been finding it difficult to be patient.
And then yesterday, out of nowhere, I found some renewed
patience in an observation from a kind heart. A somewhat off-hand remark from a
person who had no idea what it would mean to me. At least to that person, I seem complete. It was an
affirmation that I’m real. That I’m still here.

Almost everyone over the age of five knows you can’t always
get what you want. But at 45, it seems I’m just learning that if you try
sometimes, you get what you need.

Sometimes getting validation from a stranger means more than anything. I am glad you are still here. xo
ReplyDeleteTruly brilliant...ad very, very REAL.
ReplyDelete