Most days Maggie goes to
work at 8:00 am. The kids don’t have to be at school until 9:00, however, and having little faith in the ability of four 9 to 12-year-old kids to get out the
door on time on their own, I wait until they’ve gone before I leave for work. Truth be told,
I watch them go, spend a few minutes checking for forgotten lunches,
instruments or homework, wait a few more minutes to see if anyone comes sprinting
back for a forgotten item, then chase them down in the car with whatever it is
before heading to work. I could let you believe that I’m mother-of-the-year, magnanimously
attending to the needs of the Crandler urchins as they set out for a day at
school, but who am I kidding? You’d never believe that.
The truth is, when Maggie
leaves for work, I take my coffee and go downstairs. I get dressed, dry my hair, make my bed and generally ignore the kids and any needs they might have. Sure, I could
remind them to keep an eye the time. I could call out periodically how
many minutes they have before they need to leave. But where would be the sport in
that? That would completely ruin the fun of standing at the front door,
bellowing, “GET OUT!” at the top of my lungs and watching them scurry about
furiously, putting on coats, gathering their things, periodically shouting, “Oh
crap!” to no one in particular and sometimes even knocking each other down in the process. Honestly, it
never gets old.
Those bumbling kids start my day off
with a giggle every time, albeit at their expense, but it could be argued that I'm teaching them a valuable lesson in time management. That's it! That's just what I'm doing (at least that's the story I'm sticking with). Maybe I'm mother-of-the-year after all.



I can barely get one out the door. I can hardly imagine trying to manage four of them. I do think you are mother-of-the-year.
ReplyDelete