Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Life Lessons From Lucy


“Mom, do you ever feel sad, but you don’t know why?”

Lucy and I sat in her bed talking at bedtime tonight. She’s been quick to tears lately and a little on edge and I was trying to figure out if something was bothering her (without actually asking of course, because I learned long ago that asking a kid what’s bothering her is useless). So we talked about friends and school, family too, what we’ve been doing and what we’d like to do. Then we just sat together, our feet all tangled up between us and that’s when tears welled up in her eyes and spilled down her cheeks. I didn't say a word, but took her hand and gave it a squeeze and she asked me if I ever felt sad but didn't know why.

And I thought, “Oh, sweet Lucy—do I ever. Sometimes it seems like I’ve spent a lifetime feeling sad and not knowing why, crying for no reason and thinking I must be the only one who feels this way.” But I said only, “Yes, Lucy, I do sometimes.” And then tears spilled down my cheeks too.

So there we sat, in her top bunk, feet tangled up together, holding hands and crying. Until she stuck out her tongue and caught a tear coming down her cheek and that made her grin. So I did the same thing and I grinned too. Then we looked at each other and started to laugh.                                                                                                                              

Which brings me to Life Lesson #457 from Lucy (who maybe really is practically never wrong just like she says): The act of trying to catch your own tears with your tongue has an excellent chance of turning them to laughter.

Thanks, Lu. 


8 comments:

  1. Just caught a tear I shed reading this with my tongue . . .yes, it made me smile too! Love your Lucy girl! (And love you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome one, Lori. Happy 100th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS~! Being blessed with two amazing daughters, I know that feeling you had with her. There is something so magical when we learn something from them. They are so much smarter than we were at their age, and certainly braver. I know that Lu will grown into a wonderful, strong, confident, and brilliant young woman because she has you for a mom. Those moments, the ones you just described, only get better as they grow older. Hang on tightly....it happens so fast! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that she is learning at a young age that is it okay to be sad for no reason! Bundled together with "yoga breathing" and "this too shall pass", that lesson helps all of us get through the bad (even when for no reason) days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy they still like to talk to us! What a sweet story that made me cry/smile...
    xoxo,

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy they still like to talk to us! What a sweet story that made me cry/smile...
    xoxo,

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful moment to share... i felt as if I was right there tangled up with you both.
    And as always, crying right along with you.Really.

    ReplyDelete