With all this traveling, panicking, helplessly falling and basking, I’ve failed not only to write anything here, but also (and arguably more importantly) to write anything resembling a book pitch (something I need to be able to spew out virtually automatically at the writer’s conference in a few short weeks), let alone an actual book proposal.
I contemplated attending this conference last year, but balked at the last minute. Conference attendance does not come cheap and I couldn’t justify the expense if I didn't feel fully prepared. So I gave myself a year to get prepared. And while I’ve used the extra year to improve my writing, I did not use the time to write a book proposal that will be irresistible to agents and editors, hone my self-promotion skills or educate myself about publishing. Yet despite this, I entered the literary contest tied to the conference and by becoming a finalist have pretty much ensured myself extra attention at the event making my half-baked book proposal, virtually non-existent self-promotion skills and complete lack of publishing knowledge even more obvious. Oy.
Did I fail to do these things because I’m a busy, single mom artfully juggling the demands of work, parenting, volunteering and maintaining relationships with friends and family? Or am I an incurable procrastinator? Am I afraid of success? Have I failed completely at prioritizing?
Or is it possible I did it exactly right? It’s one year later and I’m no more prepared to pitch a book to agents and editors than I was last year. But, my writing has improved and I’m a finalist in a literary contest. My children are happy, healthy and loved. I’m valued at work. All the school projects for which I volunteered were completed on time (mostly). I have the most amazing friends and I’d like to think that being a good friend plays a role in that. And on top of all that, I’m in love. Desperately, passionately, completely, happily in love. Maybe I spent the last year doing precisely what I should have been doing. Maybe I’m actually a genius at prioritizing. (Probably an evil genius, but still.)
In a few short weeks I may be pitching my book at the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Writers Conference with something like this: “My book is a first-person narrative detailing the struggles of a single mom raising two kids – one with autism and one without. It’s an irreverent, self-effacing, at-times tragic, mostly hopeful, funny look at my often feeble attempts to balance raising good kids, keeping house like June Cleaver, success at work, being a good friend and drinking a lot of wine.” And who knows? If I’m not asked to leave the conference for drinking chardonnay from a travel coffee mug, I may even win the literary contest.
It could happen. It seems that this year anything is possible.

Best Wishes for all your endeavors.
ReplyDeleteIt's done--THAT is the book pitch! Hell, I'd buy it and make it a book club selection for the month!! You could even package it with the "Mad Housewife" wine label and go on a book/drinking tour! Hmmm.....come to think of it, you might need an agent/manager to help with the drinking...I mean promoting!
ReplyDeleteYES, Lhh, anything IS possible!!! And your living proof that everything turns out just as it is supposed to, usually far better than anything we could have imagined or faithfully planned for ourselves. SO SO happy for you & excited to hear about your future!! TAKE that literary contest!
ReplyDeletethat's exactly the book I've always thought you should write! and, I'd buy! good luck!!
ReplyDelete