Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Let's Try This Again

I offered someone a second chance last week. It was scary, but I did it anyway. Let’s face it, offering a second chance to someone who’s hurt you is risky. There’s a good chance you’ll be hurt again. But sometimes you just have a feeling. A feeling that the risk is worth taking. A feeling that the pay-off of taking that risk could be something good. Something meaningful. Maybe even something life-changing. I believe in listening to “that feeling.” Trusting my heart. Going with my gut. So last week I offered a second chance. I offered forgiveness. And an opportunity to move forward.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but it’s taken me a lifetime to figure this out. To realize that forgiveness is a gift, not a weakness or a character flaw. A gift that’s well within my power to give and one I should feel worthy of receiving as well.

Early last year I offered forgiveness for a hurt so old and so deep it was woven into the very fabric of who I am. It was hard to do and getting there involved some false starts and stops. But it was time, so I offered forgiveness and a second chance to a very old friend who had hurt me deeply. I’m not entirely sure what (if anything) it meant to that old friend, but I know what it meant to me. Freedom from the constraints of that hurt. Freedom to move forward. Offering forgiveness to that old friend meant everything to me.

Not long after that, I was the beneficiary of the grace of another dear friend who offered me forgiveness and a second chance I honestly didn’t deserve. And I was able to accept it without question. I appreciated her incredible gift more than words can say but didn’t question my worthiness to receive it. I had learned. I had grown.

And because of those experiences, I was able to offer a second chance last week. And in doing so, I received a gift that is nothing short of remarkable.

I have so much more to learn in this life – that’s very clear to me. But tonight I am grateful beyond belief that life has taught me a thing or two about forgiveness. And second chances.  And I'm eternally grateful there's room in my heart for both.

4 comments:

  1. You're the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful...and inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Second chances are great. They make you realize that the first chance was just a practice round. I am so happy I have been here for both chances. Socks and Rocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post moved me beyond measure...We need to talk my dear. I have been remiss in doing so sooner.
    I love you Missy!

    Didee

    ReplyDelete