Saturday, December 25, 2010

Flying Solo Christmas Morning

I’m hiding out at Starbucks this morning while Maggie and her kids open gifts and enjoy their Christmas morning. I didn’t think a pathetic, tearful roommate skulking about would do much for the festive, holiday atmosphere.

Yesterday, I hugged my kids extra tight… and for most of the day. My shopping was done, gifts wrapped and under the tree and all my holiday preparations were complete. I made sure there was nothing to distract me from the task at hand, because today, I’m faced with a reality I’ve not encountered in all the years I’ve been a mom: Christmas morning without my kids.

For years, Ben and Lucy’s dad and I agreed that their Christmas mornings should be spent in the place they consider “home.” So, for six Christmases, we’ve enjoyed Christmas morning at our house and invited dad to join us. He would come early and see the kids open their gifts, we’d share breakfast and then we’d divide the rest of the day however was most appropriate given our circumstances at that time. I’m proud we were able to maintain that set-up for such a long time and for such formative years of the kids’ lives.

But many things have changed this past year, including dad moving in with his girlfriend and her children. This year, dad wanted his own Christmas. It’s certainly “his turn,” there’s no doubt about that. And I know I’m being a bit of a baby about it. Most single parents face the reality of Christmas morning without their children in the first or second year of their divorce. I’m incredibly lucky that I’ve not had to face it before now. But knowing I’m lucky for all the years I’ve had, and knowing it’s completely appropriate and fair that dad should get the kids for his own Christmas doesn’t make me any less sad. I can rationalize my feelings all day long, but it doesn’t stop me from experiencing them.

So here I sit at my local Starbucks waiting for the three hours I’ll get to spend with the kids this afternoon. Thinking that looking better would make me feel better, I got up early, showered, put on a reasonably cute outfit and did my hair and make-up for my solo morning. The make-up might have been a mistake, however. I cried before even getting out of the house and the mixture of eyeliner and smeared concealer has produced an ever-so-slightly deranged effect. I think my alarming appearance may have startled the barista who took my order. Or maybe it was the ferociousness with which I swatted her hand away when she reached for my travel mug intending to put coffee in it.

I may be sad. I may look deranged. I may be a big-ole baby and it’s entirely possible I truly am pathetic. But I still have the wherewithal to put on a kick-ass pair of boots, my cutest jeans and hold my head high with a mimosa in my hand (even if that mimosa is in a travel mug with “Ben” Sharpied on the side).

Hands off the mimosa, lady. Sheesh.

5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how hard getting out of bed today was for you. I do know, however, that you could never look deranged. YOU are so beautiful and anyone around you is cognizant of that fact. I am sorry you are missing out on a memory, a tradition, and most of all, the feeling you always have when Ben and Lucy come downstairs to sit under the tree. Reading this blog today reminds me how beautiful you write, how much we all enjoy being let into your world, and how very strong you really are! Cheers to you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness your ex is reasonable enough that you'll get to spend a smidge of time with the kids today. I know you will enjoy every second, as will they. It's easy to say "it's just one day," and it can be made up on the other 364 days of the year, but because I've felt this sadness too, I know there is nothing that can replace a Christmas morning with your kiddos with you. I tried to explain this to my then-17 yo daughter last year and really, unless you've had kids and spent a Christmas without them, it's just not comprehendible. I'm sorry dear friend, this too shall pass, but I truly understand that there's not one cliche that will take away the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Tim and I got divorced, we did the same thing, decided to do the Christmas thing together. I would actually go spend the night at his house, along with my parents, we would get up early, and do the gift thing and either they would stay there with him and I would leave or they would leave with me. it worked for about 3-4 years until, as would be obvious, Clay and his family came into our lives and it became unfeasible. It is definitely a sad and almost bewildering moment when you don't have your kids with you on important events such as Christmas, but time marches on and even tho it gets slightly easier to deal with it, it doesn't really make it any better. I really really hate that you are having to travel through this tunnel right now. I know your kids are wanting to be with you and I am so glad that you will see them today. Know that your friends and your children love you so very much and we are sending you love karma to help you through this. You are the strongest woman I know and I know this will make you that much stronger! Love to you my friend. We will be here to help you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong. You mean the world to your kids and that will never change. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this treasure until just now. Computer crashed & I was SO out of the FB loop for a while. Christmas 2010 was the very first ever Christmas Eve night & Christmas morning that my kids stayed with their dad. Very much like you, It saddened me greatly to think of being alone Christmas morning but, after all, he certainly did have the right to have them at his house FOR ONCE. It all worked out just fine & we all were happy in the long run. Tough times, tough changes.. and you master them brilliantly. Cheers to you, my friend! You are a strong, loving woman and mother. I'm really glad I didn't have to leave my house Christmas morning feeling as pathetic as I did, it probably would have been ugly! LOL Love reading excerpts from your future book & truly can't wait for the finished product! Love ya

    ReplyDelete