Most of us step into our role as parent wide-eyed and naive with expectations and standards that are probably unattainable. I think nearly every parent remembers a time before they were parents when they uttered the words, “I’ll never (insert “bad-parenting” example here). I certainly did. But most of us know that when you actually become a parent, you might:
- Feed your child McDonald's
- Use the television as a babysitter from time to time
- Let a child sleep in your bed
- Cook a completely separate dinner for your kids and that dinner might be full of things processed and preserved
- Tolerate some back-talk
- Pause in a bedtime story for a sip of your wine
- Let your child run willy-nilly in a restaurant
- Fail to follow through with threatened consequences
- Send a child to school in mismatched or dirty clothes. With uncombed hair or unbrushed teeth
- Let them jump on the furniture
You might even yell, or say things you’ll regret.
As parents, we uphold some of our “I’ll nevers” and let others fall in the name of keeping the peace, maintaining our sanity or achieving that elusive harmonious household. We choose our battles. And maybe that is where the true art of parenting lies. In knowing when to stand firm and when to bend.
I believe that when the “I’ll nevers” start to fall - as they inevitably do - we become the real parents we were meant to be. Letting go of our “I’ll nevers” doesn’t make us bad parents. Letting go of some of those unrealistic expectations and standards leaves room for things that matter more and allows us to become the best parents we can be. Wonderful, amazing, incredible parents (and I’m lucky to know so many). Wonderful in our own ways that have absolutely nothing to do with processed chicken nuggets, a little too much Dora the Explorer or kids who still crawl into bed with us in the middle of the night. Amazing in ways that have everything to do with our heart and soul and with our hopes and dreams for our children.
Incredible in all the ways that matter most.


I have certainly fallen into these same categories over the years. I look at Mindy, who will turn 18 on Wednesday, and can honsetly say that she turned out pretty fabulous for a kid who slept with us for 12 years! (She also ate chicken nuggets almost everyday after day care)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lori, for allowing all of us to forgive ourselves for doing what we said we never would! I love this!
AMEN!
ReplyDeleteThank you for stating so eloquently why it is OK that my kids spent two weeks watching Dora while I obsessively unpacked and set up house. You and Dora are my heroes!
ReplyDeleteideal parents don't exist -- REAL ones do! Lori, you're obviously one the real ones and we all know they're the best ones to have.
ReplyDeleteRight on! I couldn't have said it better.
ReplyDeleteLori, this is just amazing! You have just reached into my heart and hugged it! In addition to publishing your collection of stories, you should write a parenting book on how to parent a child in the ways that matter most. I'm off to McDonalds, without a trace of guilt!
ReplyDeleteAMEN Sister, again thank you
ReplyDelete